Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian


"You read a book for the story, for each of its words," Gordy said, "and you draw your cartoons for the story, for each of the words and images. And, yeah, you need to take that seriously, but you should also read and draw because really good books and cartoons give you a boner."

I was shocked:

Did you just say books should give me a boner?"

Yes, I did."

Are you serious?"

Yeah... don't you get excited about books?"

I don't think that you're supposed to get THAT excited about books."

You should get a boner! You have to get a boner!" Gordy shouted. "Come on!"

We ran into the Reardan High School Library.

Look at all these books," he said.

There aren't that many," I said. It was a small library in a small high school in a small town.

There are three thousand four hundred and twelve books here," Gordy said. "I know that because I counted them."

Okay, now you're officially a freak," I said.

Yes, it's a small library. It's a tiny one. But if you read one of these books a day, it would still take you almost ten years to finish."

What's your point?"

The world, even the smallest parts of it, is filled with things you don't know."

Wow. That was a huge idea.

Any town, even one as small as Reardan, was a place of mystery. And that meant Wellpinit, the smaller, Indian town, was also a place of mystery.

Okay, so it's like each of these books is a mystery. Every book is a mystery. And if you read all of the books ever written, it's like you've read one giant mystery. And no matter how much you learn, you keep on learning so much more you need to learn."

Yes, yes, yes, yes," Gordy said. "Now doesn't that give you a boner?"

I am rock hard," I said."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment